The Benefits of Using Diatomaceous Earth with your Poultry
Diatomaceous Earth is a completely natural product. It is also known as natural amorphous silica and can be used in more than a thousand ways to achieve significant improvements in plant and animal health increasing productivity and lowering production costs. It is an organic non toxic, chemical free, natural mineral - making it suitable for use anywhere from the smallest garden to the largest agricultural ventures, and for animals and in animal enclosures of all kinds.
The diatomaceos earth that we stock compares with the best in the world. Formed in a high altitude volcanic lake in far North Queensland, Australia. It has a low content of salt and heavy metals and an ideal balance of trace elements and rare earth minerals.
What are the benefits for poultry farmers?
Of all animas, chickens and ducks respond the fastest to natural silica supplimentation. Scientific trials sho that when assessed against a control group, chickens fed DE were noticeably larger, with more meat, stronger bones, healthier and free of parasites.
Diatomaceous Earth can be used for:
- Feed Suppliment
- Parasite control both internal and external
- Reduces smells, fewer flies
- Improves the health of the poultry
- Improves the quality of the eggs
- Increases the quantity of the eggs produced
Save with lower production rates:
It is recommended that Diatomaceous Earth replaces 15% of the feed given to poultry to enable the DE to work efficiently. When used in this quantity, the DE will reduce the amount of commercial feed required, allowing farmers to achieve significantly improved production and save on feed (15:85) will control any worms that are present in the stomach of the birds and will reduce the smell emitted by droppings. The absence of any internal parasites as well as the improved overall health and well being of the birds, can lead to measurable weight increases.
What else can DE be used for?
Natural silica has been proven to have a significant, positive impac on animal health, animal weight and size, and on pasture quality and sustainability.
- Increased Production: when optimal levels of silica are used cattle can experience superior weight gain. Cattle fed DE can outweigh non-DE fed cattle by up to 11.65% at the same time as reducing feed by an average of up to 25%
- Reduced Expenditure: Additional increases in profits can be achieved through a reduction in expenses. When used in recommended quanities, DE will reduce reliance on the application of chemical inputs and feed requirements, resulting in fewer vetinarian bills. If used in line with regulatory requirements DE can void withholding periods.
- Improve Animal Health: livestock health problems, including tyhose that have been unresponsive to traditional chemical and medical treatments, can be controlled with optimal DE use. Mastitis, scours, tumours and cysts can be contrrolled.
Natural silica is directly related to the formation of bone, cartlage and can increase the collagen in growing bone by up to 100%. Silica can also accelerate the growth in calves and plays a vital role in weight gain in adult livestock.
Optimal use of DE can stimulate the metabolism, including the metabolism of minerals, increase protein digestion and the amount of feed exposed to the digestive processes, thereby increasing the amount of feed utilised by the animal.
Parasite and worm control:
Although perfectly harmless to humans and animals, natural silica contains sharp microscopic edges which kills the parasite or worms in the digestive tract on contact. (Heartworm and lung worm are not controlled) Because of this mechanical process, parasites are unable to build up resistance or become immune. Parasite control with DE is extremely effective, and completely safe. Natural silica is 100% organic, harmless to animals and humans and will not be subject to any witholding period.
DE effectively controls all insects and pests common with animal farming, including fleas, ticks and buffalo fly. By aaplying the DE directly to the animal and spreading it in the enclosures, the number of insects is significantly reduced without the use of toxic chemicals.
This is a great product to use in your dust baths for poultry and spread throughout nesting boxes to erradicate the presence of lice and mites.
Natural silica will also be present in the animal droppings and will control insects and lavae on or in the dung. If spread on pasture DE will improve the soil and grass fertility and will also control pests such as cut worm and army worm.
DE and Agriculture - Benefits for Growers:
Natural silica significantly increases crop yeild which means increased revenue for growers. Natural silica proivides the plant with energy and reinforced its ability to protect itself against stress. Soil treated with DE will have optimum fertility through improved water, physical and chemical properties and by allowing nutrients in the soil, such as phosphorus, to remain in a plant available form. All crops benefit from silica nutrition and when used in recommended, typically average a 15% to 35% increase in yeild within the first season. Crops such as rice and sugarcane, which can take up more silica than nitrogen, typically average a 20% to 70% increase in yield.
The Environmental Benefits of DE:
Diatomaceous Earth will improve the quality of agricultural land by:
- Restoring soil fertility
- Detoxifying the soil
- Increasing the amount of arable land
The overuse of synthetic chemical fertilisers and pesticides leads to the soil degradation and toxicity, DE wll:
- Increase plant tolerance to toxic elements, allowing the plant to grow and produce good yeilds.
- Change the chemical structure of the soil, detoxifying chemical poisons.
This means a reduction of chemical fertiliser use. Ongoing use of DE reduces reliance on chemical inputs - both fertilisers and poisons, which reduces expenditure.
Less chemical fertilisers will:
- Produce healthier crops
- Better tasting and better quality food
- Increase transportation and shelf life of fruit and vegetables
- improve soil fertility